Title: Principal Investigator E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org 9/1998 – 6/2002 B.Sc. (Biomedicine), College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, China 9/2002 – 6/2007 Ph.D. (Microbiology), College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, China
The major goals are to select full-length antibodies and antibody fragments against important and emerging viruses by phage display, yeast display, and other high throughput screening technologies; develop novel single domain antibodies based on scaffolds derived from antibody constant CH2 domains in antibody Fc fragments; and improve biological activities of Fc fragments. We try to elucidate the basic questions (e.g., understand the mechanism of virus-host interactions) in virology, and solve several difficulties for improvement of yield of protein-related drugs during the research and development of therapeutic antibodies (e.g., improve the efficiency of correct folding in proteins).
9/1998 – 6/2002 B.Sc. (Biomedicine), College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, China
9/2002 – 6/2007 Ph.D. (Microbiology), College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, China
1. Cao G, Gao X, Zhan Y, Wang Q, Zhang Z, Dimitrov DS, Gong R. An engineered human IgG1 CH2 domain with decreased aggregation and nonspecific binding. MAbs. 2020, 12(1):1689027.
2. Li M, Chen L, Wang Q, Hao M, Zhang X, Liu L, Yu X, Yang C, Xu J*, Chen J*, Gong R*. A cross-reactive human monoclonal antibody targets the conserved H7 antigenic site A from fifth wave H7N9-infected humans. Antiviral Res. 2019, 170:104556.
3. Gao X, Conard A, Yang C, Zhan Y, Zeng F, Shi J, Li W, Dimitrov DS, Gong R*. Optimization of the C-Terminus of an Autonomous Human IgG1 CH2 Domain for Stability and Aggregation Resistance. Mol Pharm. 2019, 16(8):3647-3656.
4. Yang C, Zeng F, Gao X, Zhao S, Li X, Liu S, Li N, Deng C, Zhang B, Gong R*. Characterization of two engineered dimeric Zika virus envelope proteins as immunogens for neutralizing antibody selection and vaccine design. J Biol Chem. 2019, 294(27):10638-10648.
5. Yang C, Gong R*, de Val N*. Development of Neutralizing Antibodies against Zika Virus Based on Its Envelope Protein Structure. Virol Sin. 2019, 34(2):168-174.
6. Zeng F, Yang C, Gao X, Li X, Zhang Z, Gong R*. Comprehensive elucidation of the structural and functional roles of engineered disulfide bonds in antibody Fc fragment. J Biol Chem. 2018, 293(49):19127-19135.
7. Yang C, Gao X, Gong R*. Engineering of Fc Fragments with Optimized Physicochemical Properties Implying Improvement of Clinical Potentials for Fc-Based Therapeutics. Front. Immunol. 2018, 8:1860.
8. Sun Y, Zhang H, Shi J, Zhang Z, Gong R*. Identification of a Novel Inhibitor against Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus. Viruses. 2017, 9(9).
9. Chen X, Zeng F, Huang T, Cheng L, Liu H*, Gong R*. Optimization on Fc for Improvement of Stability and Aggregation Resistance. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2016, 17(15):1353-1359.
10. Gong R*. Editorial (Thematic Issue: Fc-related Antibody Engineering). Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2016, 17(15):1296-1297.
11. Shi J, Zhang H, Gong R*, Xiao G*. Characterization of the fusion core in zebrafish endogenous retroviral envelope protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015, 460(3):633-8.
12. Guo L, Zhang Z, Gong R*, Xiao G*. Real-time quantitative PCR assay for rapid detection of murine virus contamination in bioproducts. Virol Sin. 2014, 29(3):193-5.
14. Gong R*, Wang Y, Ying T, Feng Y, Streaker E, Prabakaran P, Dimitrov DS*. N-terminal truncation of an isolated human IgG1 CH2 domain significantly increases its stability and aggregation resistance. Mol Pharm. 2013, 10(7):2642-52.
15. Zhu Z, Prabakaran P, Chen W, Broder CC, Gong R*, Dimitrov DS*. Human monoclonal antibodies as candidate therapeutics against emerging viruses and HIV-1. Virol Sin. 2013, 28(2):71-80.
16. Gong R*, Wang Y, Ying T, Dimitrov DS. Bispecific engineered antibody domains (nanoantibodies) that interact noncompetitively with an HIV-1 neutralizing epitope and FcRn. PLoS One. 2012, 7(8):e42288.
17. Gehlsen K$*, Gong R$, Bramhill D, Wiersma D, Kirkpatrick S, Wang Y, Feng Y, Dimitrov DS. Pharmacokinetics of engineered human monomeric and dimeric CH2 domains. MAbs. 2012, 4(4):466-74. ($contributed equally)
18. Gong R*, Chen W, Dimitrov DS. Candidate antibody-based therapeutics against HIV-1. BioDrugs. 2012, 26(3):143-62.
19. Gong R, Wang Y, Feng Y, Zhao Q, Dimitrov DS*. Shortened engineered human antibody CH2 domains: increased stability and binding to the human neonatal fc receptor. J Biol Chem. 2011, 286(31):27288-93.
20. Gong R, Vu BK, Feng Y, Prieto DA, Dyba MA, Walsh JD, Prabakaran P, Veenstra TD, Tarasov SG, Ishima R, Dimitrov DS*. Engineered human antibody constant domains with increased stability. J Biol Chem. 2009, 284(21):14203-10.
21. Gong R, Huang L, Shi J, Luo K, Qiu G, Feng H, Tien P, Xiao G*. Syncytin-A mediates the formation of syncytiotrophoblast involved in mouse placental development. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2007, 20(5):517-26.
22. Gong R, Peng X, Kang S, Feng H, Huang J, Zhang W, Lin D, Tien P*, Xiao G*. Structural characterization of the fusion core in syncytin, envelope protein of human endogenous retrovirus family W. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005, 331(4):1193-200.
23. Lei C, Gong R, Ying T*. Editorial: Antibody Fc Engineering: Towards Better Therapeutics. Front Immunol. 2018, 9:2450.
24. Wang Y, Shan Y, Gao X, Gong R, Zheng J, Zhang XD, Zhao Q*. Screening and expressing HIV-1 specific antibody fragments in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Immunol. 2018, 103:279-285.
25. Li D, Gong R, Zheng J, Chen X*, Dimitrov DS, Zhao Q*. Engineered antibody CH2 domains binding to nucleolin: Isolation, characterization and improvement of aggregation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017, 485(2):446-453.
26. Ying T*, Wang Y, Feng Y, Prabakaran P, Gong R, Wang L, Crowder K, Dimitrov DS. Engineered antibody domains with significantly increased transcytosis and half-life in macaques mediated by FcRn. MAbs. 2015, 7(5):922-30.
27. Ying T*, Gong R, Ju TW, Prabakaran P, Dimitrov DS. Engineered Fc based antibody domains and fragments as novel scaffolds. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014, 1844(11):1977-82.
28. Zu X, Liu Y, Wang S, Jin R, Zhou Z, Liu H, Gong R, Xiao G*, Wang W*. Peptide inhibitor of Japanese encephalitis virus infection targeting envelope protein domain III. Antiviral Res. 2014, 104C:7-14.
29. Chen W, Gong R, Ying T, Prabakaran P, Zhu Z, Feng Y, Dimitrov DS*. Discovery of Novel Candidate Therapeutics and Diagnostics Based on Engineered Human Antibody Domains. Curr Drug Discov Technol. 2014, 11(1):28-40.
30. Ying T*, Chen W, Feng Y, Wang Y, Gong R, Dimitrov DS. Engineered soluble monomeric IgG1 CH3 domain: generation, mechanisms of function, and implications for design of biological therapeutics. J Biol Chem. 2013, 288(35):25154-64.
31. Prabakaran P*, Zhu Z, Chen W, Gong R, Feng Y, Streaker E, Dimitrov DS. Origin, diversity, and maturation of human antiviral antibodies analyzed by high-throughput sequencing. Front Microbiol. 2012, 3:277.
32. Ying T*, Chen W, Gong R, Feng Y, Dimitrov DS. Soluble Monomeric IgG1 Fc. J Biol Chem. 2012, 287(23):19399-408.
33. Chen W, Feng Y, Gong R, Zhu Z, Wang Y, Zhao Q, Dimitrov DS*. Engineered single human CD4 domains as potent HIV-1 inhibitors and components of vaccine immunogens. J Virol. 2011, 85(18):9395-405.
34. Feng Y*, Gong R, Dimitrov DS. Design, expression and characterization of a soluble single-chain functional human neonatal Fc receptor. Protein Expr Purif. 2011, 79(1):66-71.
35. Peng X, Pan J, Gong R, Liu Y, Kang S, Feng H, Qiu G, Guo D, Tien P, Xiao G*. Functional characterization of syncytin-A, a newly murine endogenous virus envelope protein: implication for its fusion mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2007, 282(1):381-9
36. Sha Y, Wu Y, Cao Z, Xu X, Wu W, Jiang D, Mao X, Liu H, Zhu Y, Gong R, Li W. A convenient cell fusion assay for the study of SARS-CoV entry and inhibition. IUBMB Life. 2006, 58(8):480-6.
37. Sun G, Guo M, Shen A, Mei F, Peng X, Gong R, Guo D, Wu J, Tien P*, Xiao G*. Bovine PrPC directly interacts with alphaB-crystalline. FEBS Lett. 2005, 579(24):5419-24.